Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • gromusicadmin
    Keymaster
    #4458 |

What do you struggle with most when writing music? If you write lyrics, do you add the lyrics to a melody you’ve already created, or do you create a melody for the lyrics you’ve already written? I’ve tried both, but they are both equally difficult imo 🙁

I’m just starting into this song-writing world and I’d love to hear your experiences!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4483 |

I’m not a songwriter but back in my band-interviewing days, I asked that question of a lot of bands, and there was definitely no single way to go about it. Some wrote the music first, others the lyrics, and sometimes it just depended on the song. I bet a lot, if not all, songwriters can relate to that struggle though!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    #4488 |

Most any music that I wrote always started with a phrase or some line that I wanted to include in a song. I typically have a long list of riffs that I’ve created in the past and I’ll try to pair the line with the sound of the riff that I want. After that, the song tends to write itself. As I write the music, I write the lyrics. The toughest part for me is always the second verse of a song. trying to force lyrics was Never easy for me. if I didn’t care about the topic, The lyrics would suck. So typically, the topic would be about something that was currently going on in my life and was either easy to write about because I knew everything about that topic, or it was something that I was going through that I just needed to get off my chest. there will always be those few lines that you are never happy with. You are your own worst critic, and most of the time, The people you’re writing the music for appreciate the way that it is.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Community’ is closed to new topics and replies.